Monday, July 16, 2012

Wild Horses, and how they contribute to the "Process"

Okay, enough posts about death...for the time being at least!

I know that most people opt not to think about that inevitable part of our lives, but death has been on my mind lately from some dreams that I have had (including one about my own death). However, it's mostly book research. A lot of people like to read about death and the Quantam Realm, and someone needs know something about that topic if it's going to be written about!

You are probably wondering where the title "Wild Horses" fits into all of this. It actually has quite a bit to do with what I am about to tell you. Susan Boyle, the "Britain's Got Talent" newfound star is performing a cover of "Wild Horses" by the Rolling Stones on Pandora. Here is the song here:
Susan Boyle sings Wild Horses..

So this song was playing on Pandora, and I typically have music on while I write. I find that the creativity behind music also stimulates my creative mind. And for all of you writers out there, here is a little snapshot of my process.

  
A little bit about my writing process

 



Every author has a different process. Toni Morrison writes her novels out longhand on yellow legal paper before typing them; Anne Rice researches a novel for 1-2 years before sitting down to write a word. And I "plant seeds" before birthing a book of novel length.

When I conceive a story, I start it, and write a chapter. If I feel that I need to tell more of the story right then, I will write another chapter or two, or an entire "opening sequence". Then, I put it away. I give the infant piece a page on my website, to keep it fresh in my mind, and let it marinate and grow. Some time later, I pick it up and continue it - and it's usually bit by bit. I have several novels that I am working on, and I may write a page or two here, or a page or two there, as the events in the story are revealed to me, to keep the content fresh, alive, and not "seemingly forced".

When I am further along in the process, such as with Shiva/Rebirth, I will revisit it more often as I am feeling inspired to carry the plot along in the novel. And then there is the editing and revising stage, where The Quest for Immortality is currently. In this stage, I print out 150 or so pages of the manuscript, and create an outline. I do some light editing, but that's not the most important part of this process. The most important part now is outlining the story , building the plot (tension/conflict), and developing a resolution.

At that point, the "holes" are filled in, and the novel is completed. Which brings me to Ashes:


This photo is a very rough printout from 2007, when this novel was first drafted. As you can see, there are notes and corrections, but, of course, this novel is now far from where it was in 2007, and is nearing a publication date. Ashes is furthest along in the process.

And the process just continues for each novel I write; soon, other novels I am working on will be in the stages of final drafting and editing. The process simply repeats itself.

But what you need to do, if YOU want to be a writer, is find the process that works best for you. I do most of my best writing outside the house, in a noisy and busy environment, usually having a beer. Then I edit and revise at home with coffee. That may work for me, but every writer is different.

So it's up to you to find what works best for you. I know that I am still finding what works best for me. And we all learn from the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment