Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Conversations with the Dead

Conversations with the dead happen on a daily basis.

More often than not, there are minute little details in your life, that present themselves in front of you, that could really be considered communication from beyond the grave - if you take the time to see the signs for what they are. Yesterday, I wrote about my grandmother, who I hadn't thought about for a while. Today, she thanked me for it.

Earlier in the day, I had been out running errands. While on the way to Target, I happened to be driving by someone from Michigan (in the state of Florida) and, since I had spent a good part of my life in Michigan, I took a closer look.

Lo and behold, the license plate frame had the same exact intersection where my grandmother's apartment building was. I thought it was uncanny! I made a mental note to call my mother about it as soon as I had parked the car.

"Mom!" I said, a tinge of excitement in my voice. "You are never going to believe this!"

"What is it?" she asked.

"I was just driving behind a car from Michigan! And the license plate frame had 14th and John R on it! That was where Grandma's apartment building was!"

"You have a good memory," she said. "Yes it was."

I continued to speak to my mother about what I had seen. What was profound about the conversation was not that I was following someone from Michigan, or that they had bought their car at a dealer that was located at the very same intersection that my grandmother had lived at while she was alive, it was why I had seen it.

"She was on your mind yesterday, since you were writing about her," my mother explained. "That was her way of giving you a nod, of letting you know that she knew you were thinking of her."

And so it hit me.

I understood the reason, I realized that I did speak with my grandmother today, in the way that you "speak" with the departed -- in small signs, little details in your life...telepathically. A feeling.

And when you look back on a situation, you understand so much more clearly.

Yes, I had a conversation with the dead today. My dead grandmother. And I see more clearly now how we keep those we have lost close to our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment