Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Blog Hop for All Seasons

I was given the distinct honor of being invited to this blog hop by author Valerie Douglas. 




Valerie has been a mentor for about a year now. I ran across her in the Indie Author Group- a group that I had initially joined a while back on a whim, but Valerie took notice of me. She had told me that I posted great questions in the group, and had some good comments, and a few months later, asked if I could be a moderator of the site.

Valerie is a prolific genre-crosser. Some of her novels, such as A Convocation of Kings have been best sellers, as well as my personal favorite, Shades .  She has proven to be a great friend and mentor, and I look forward to years of sharing inspiration and advice.



I'm author A.L. Mengel  and the author of this blog. Below is a brief biography, found online.

"A.L. Mengel is a Paranormal Fiction writer and blogger. His novels and stories have each been called a "complex examination of relationships" with strong anti-heros. His works address issues of alcoholism, intolerance, grieving and death, fear of the afterlife, and the journey for understanding, among others. His protagonists, some of which are angels and demons, are frequently found on a search for purpose or transformation, which are recurring themes in his stories.  
Mengel grew up reading Stephen King and Anne Rice, two of his favorite authors. He first found a love of writing upon taking a Creative Writing class in High School - but did not become a more serious writer until becoming an Arts and Entertainment Editor in Philadelphia, and later while taking another Creative Writing class where he was inspired to complete his first novel. More recently, he has connected and interacted with his readers via "The Writing Studio" where he shares his writing methods and inspiration. He enjoys time with his two dogs and two cats, and loves to write outdoors as much as possible."
 

 
 
The questions below are my answers, but I wanted you to be aware of who invited me to this honor! I am the author of Ashes -published by Parchman's Press -  which is A.L. Mengel's debut novel as well as the first of a series called "The Tales of Tartarus".


1) What am I working on?

2014 has shaped up to be a very busy year for the A.L. Mengel brand. The release date of October 28, 2014 for The Quest for Immortality has been officially announced. In addition, Parchman's Press will be making more of a foothold this year. There are also other works in progress which can be found on A.L.'s author page or at A.L.'s Website.

2) How does your work differ from others in the genre?

Ashes takes readers deep into the astral plane - otherwise known as the quantam realm - where spirits exist - and where other dimensions are found. In addition, the story has a powerful message of forgiveness. The novel addresses real-life issues as well.

3) Why do I write what I do? 

I write what I do because I write about what I like to read about. I grew up reading Anne Rice, Stephen King and Clive Barker. Their stories inspired me, and I found my own voice and my own style.

4) How does my writing process work? 

Although I wish to live in the mind of a writer 24/7, I am not quite at that stage yet. I still juggle "real-life" between writing sessions.  Still, I have a process on my writing days. I like to take care of any household chores in the morning so they can be off my mind. I typically like to go out for some creative stimulation (aka lunch and a beer) at mid day - and I always take my tablet with me in case I am inspired to write. Then, I return home in the afternoons and let it pour out. Or it doesn't pour out. Every day is not a 20 or 30 page day for a writer. I find myself "taking it all in" as often as I can.


Happy Writing!

Visit and interact with A.L. Mengel at:

www.facebook.com/authoralmengel

www.almengel.com


No comments:

Post a Comment