Sunday, January 23, 2011

Some Vivaldi and How Bagpipes Make Us Cry



Today is Sunday. I am in a spiritual mood...maybe not because it's Sunday, maybe I am in that mood because I feel that I am a spiritual person.

I try to attend Church when I can - I was raised a Catholic and I still believe in the teachings to this day. But, I got out of the habit of going to Church when I entered the hotel business and routinely worked late Saturdays and Sundays, and I just never got back into the habit of going to Church.

I am listening to Vivaldi's Magnificat.

This speaks to me spiritually. Make sure to have your volume turned up, and you will see what I mean.

Music brings us together, it unites the masses, whether a concert, church service or wedding, we all live our lives through music.

Music brings us together at funerals too. I remember when "Amazing Grace" was played on bagpipes at my Uncle's funeral. I had kept it together until that moment.

Music speaks to our souls.

It soothes us in our time of
pain, it excites us when we are starting a new beginning...and it helps us remember those events in our life that have passed and those people in our lives that have passed on.

And when the bagpipes play, that's when it hits home:

Click this video and listen. Have your computer speakers turned up. Think of your lost loved ones, and it will make you cry. (It takes a few seconds to get started).

Why do bagpipes make us cry? Is it their simplicity? Their tragic way of presenting a Hymn that is already a tearjerker?

Is it because they are typically played at funerals, memorials, and other solemn moments?

Bagpipes make us cry just for those reasons!

They pull at our heartstrings because they are just that...so simple. They represent lives lost, and force us to remember.




1 comment:

  1. I don't know if it's cause I'm Scottish and Irish, or if it's the song Amazing Grace. But I love the bagpipes! Rowdy Roddy Piper from wrestling had them played too. Each time, I start crying! I love the sound so much! Maybe it also has something to do with my ancestry background and being Proud. But I cry when the bagpipes are played.

    ReplyDelete